EMOTIONS. Why do we overcomplicate them?
An even better question is, how can we learn to feel them in a useful way?
You probably didn’t know that you can decide what to do with your emotions. You can feel them or you can change them, though most people simply avoid them because they’re afraid of what happens if the emotion takes over. (Obviously, I’m talking about heavy emotions like sadness, fear, despair, worry, etc. I doubt you worry about what would happen if your life were overrun by happiness!)
In today’s podcast episode, I share the process of how to actually FEEL emotions in a way that’s helpful. You can listen to it or read the summary below.
(What I totally forgot to share in the podcast are which essential oils will support you during the feeling process, so get that down below! #duh)
HOW TO FEEL EMOTIONS
(Grab a journal and a pen, and answer the questions below:)
- What are the physical sensations in your body? Make note of everything you are feeling. (Clammy hands, eyes filled with tears, knot in stomach, tightness in chest, hard to breathe, tension in head, etc.)
- What are the thoughts that are causing the clammy hands, teary eyes, etc?
- Is it helping you or hurting you to have these thoughts?
If the answer is NO, the thoughts are not helpful:
- Write down a different thought, one that DOES help you.
- Write down how this thought makes you feel.
- Write down what is happening to the physical sensations you felt earlier.
If the answer is YES, the thought serves me (say you’re thinking that you miss a loved one, or you miss your old job…)
- Ask yourself what you can do to feel the emotion while going on with your life! (In most cases, it’s possible to go to work or to a social event EVEN with the emotion still within.)
- Write down how long (or how quickly) the emotion works its way through your body. Some of my clients report changes in as little as 90 seconds from the moment they allowed the emotion to be present!
ESSENTIAL OILS TO HELP YOU PROCESS
Processing emotions means that you feel sensations EVERYWHERE in your body. That’s not very comfortable, I know, so here are some of my favorite oils to help you stay calm & grounded as you go through the process I shared above.
GROUNDING DIFFUSER BLEND
3 drops Balance
2 drops Lavender
1 drop Frankincense
A little bonus tip: place 2 drops Balance on your belly, 1 drop Frankincense under your tongue, and 1 drop Lavender behind each ear and then JOURNAL AWAY, my friend!
FEEL AS IF THE EMOTION IS STUCK IN YOUR BODY
If it feels as if the emotion is stuck somewhere in your body and is causing you physical discomfort, here’s what may help:
Rub some DEEP BLUE, PEPPERMINT or LAVENDER directly on the site. Rub gently and in a clockwise motion. Take a few deep breaths (as best you can) and stretch your body softly to welcome relief.
WANT MORE INFO ON COACHING & OILS
Schedule a complimentary discovery session with me and let’s talk about supporting your physical & emotional needs.